Caroline Goodwin (Food Tutor)
Objective: how to make shortbread biscuits
Watch the Video
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin (can use water bottle)
- cutter (alternatively, you can cut the biscuits out with a knife)
- wire rack
- oven gloves
Makes approximately 12 biscuits
- vegetable oil for greasing
- 110g butter, at room temperature
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 175g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan or gas mark 2.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until soft, then beat in the sugar.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until it comes together, then finish with your hands to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste to a surface that has been lightly dusted with caster sugar and lightly roll out to about 3mm thick.
- Cut out the biscuits and place on the greased baking sheet.
- Prick each biscuit 4-5 times with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a pale golden colour.
- Allow the biscuits to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.